What do I want?

Lately I have done a lot, a lot, a lot of self analyzing. Every time I feel the slight twinge of anxiety I take a step back and ask myself "why?". Just in this instance I realized that the anxiety I am experiencing is because I do not know what I want.

I am in the process of doing research on ADHD coaches, speakers and the ADHD community in the West Island/Montreal for the support group that I am starting. I have an ADHD coach's website opened up and my anxiety is rising, my tongue is going numb, my vision is becoming blurry and I am asking myself "what the heck?!" Why is my anxiety rising so much? It is because I do not know what I want to ask this woman. I do not know what I want to ask her, what is my end goal? I have come to realize in the past few weeks that if I do not decide ahead of time what I would like to "get" out of interactions, meetings, etc. then I somewhat leave the encounter feeling lost and like I am following other peoples visions of what they think I want/need. Let me clarify that the encounters that I am talking about are with individuals who have experience with ADHD; are either coaches or doctors or psychologists.

The solution I came up with for myself is to take out a pad of paper and a pen and write down what I want, what am I looking for, what do I feel like I need. From there I know what I want to ask, what I would like to understand and what I would like to "get" from the encounter. I say "get" in the quotations because I do not feel like I need to "get" anything from or out of people. I just do not have a better word for it. I would also like to emphasize that I follow the conversation wherever it goes. You never know what you will learn or where the conversation will take you! I get a lot of ideas and insights from listening to others and I believe that there is nothing like learning from other peoples experiences and stories! 

I do not know if this solution will work and if you have any insight into my experience, please let me know! I am taking a huge leap into this ADHD world and by starting the support group. I do not have any experiencing running a group, ADHD is relatively new to me and it is so terrifyingly exciting. I feel like I have connected with so many amazing people in the past month and I cannot wait to keep learning and meeting new people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Do Lists vs Projects

Addicted to your phone? Use it to your advantage! 10 Apps I actually use to help with my ADHD & Anxiety

For Better or For Worse

5 Things I Learnt from my Doctor Visit

Track your time

Activation------Exercise!